DIY // Snail Mail // Create an Impromptu Craft Kit // No. 2

DIY // Snail Mail // Create an Impromptu Craft Kit // No. 2 This is snail mail I created last month for the Sweet Mail Exchange. I got a couple of questions about where to start, so I put together a snail mail tutorial. Today, I want to show you how I adapted the same basic methods to create this package for my pen pal, Mari.

|1| Anchors Away by Mari Koegelenberg |2| Traveler's Notebook Airlines Roll Stickers by Midori |3| Atlantic Sequins Pack by Studio Calico

DIY // Snail Mail // Create an Impromptu Craft Kit // No. 2 // Slide 1
I like to start with a theme and this month, I knew I really wanted to send Mari some paper Sashimi. I decided to go with a "care package" concept. Inside the main envelope you see above, I included smaller packages filled with "essentials" Mari could grab when she had to WORK, PLAY, or EAT.

But, before I go into more detail, I want to talk about this wax paper envelope for a moment. I construct my packages in layers and this is a great way to ensure everything stays in order when the contents are taken out. I used these envelope templates throughout Mari's package and resized them to fit different types of embellishments.

|5| Black Stripe Wide Washi Tape by Freckled Fawn |4| Cutting Files: Envelopes by Mari Koegelenberg |6| Traveler's Notebook Greetings Roll Stickers by Midori

DIY // Snail Mail // Create an Impromptu Craft Kit // No. 2 // Slide 2
So, here is the WORK and PLAY part of my theme. Again, you'll notice the wax paper! I use it all over the place for a couple reasons: 1) I like that it's sheer enough to preview what's underneath, but it also has enough opacity to hide distracting elements (in this case, the two envelopes tucked underneath) 2) It's a non-destructive way to include a lot of stickers and embellishments, enabling a pretty package to also serve as a craft resource.

The Washi tape gem you see is actually on the flip side, layered on top of a 3x4 die cut. I do this a lot--try to add layers and embellishments in unexpected places. I also like to include my favorite papers in dimensions that can be repurposed. For this die cut, I used pretty patterned paper from the Dear Lizzy 5th & Frolic Collection

All of the crafty "essentials" are still hidden. I tucked them away into the smaller envelopes (so they wouldn't fly about when Mari opened her package). For reference, I also labeled them: Craft for PLAY and Desk for WORK.

|7| Confetti Triangle Wide Washi Tape by Freckled Fawn |8| 365Unscripted: Diecut Cards 3 by Traci Reed |9| Japanese Washi Tape THIN GRID Blue Green Brown Grid 18mm by Craft Log |10| Ombre Aqua Sundrifter Printed Chipboard Thickers  by Studio Calico + Ombre Green Sundrifter Printed Chipboard Thickers  by Studio Calico |11| Sundrifter 12X12 Collection Pack  by Studio Calico |12| D-Clip Paper Clips - Pet Series - Squirrel by Midori |13| D-Clip Paper Clips - Pet Series - Squirrel by Midori |14| Mini Market Alpha Stickers by October Afternoon |15| Small Craft Envelope by Muji

DIY // Snail Mail // Create an Impromptu Craft Kit // No. 2 // Slide 3
I filled the Craft envelope with strips of washi tape plus an assortment of patterns to fashion pretty paper flowers. These flower die cuts were super easy to resize and fit into the envelope.

|16| Love Letter Japanese Masking Tape 15mm Designer Series by by Seki Mihoko |17| Japanese Masking Tape Pack of 20 (7mm) by MT |18| Cutting Files: Paper Flowers by Mari Koegelenberg + Dear Lizzy Fifth & Frolic Collection Pack by American Crafts + Classic Calico 3 6X6 Paper Pad  by Studio Calico |19| Basic Stripe Washi Tape by Freckled Fawn

DIY // Snail Mail // Create an Impromptu Craft Kit // No. 2 // Slide 4
Inside the Desk envelope I tucked in a small pad of sticky notes I created using paper by one of my favorite stationers, Korean based company Paperways. Each sheet in the pad (48 total) is a different subtle grid pattern and I included even more washi tape that I thought looked cute with everything.

|20| Numbers Decorative Paper Tape, 5 Assorted Rolls by Cavallini & Co. |21| Art Post It Notes Boxed Set by Paperways |22| Cherry Bakers Twine by Divine Twine

DIY // Snail Mail // Create an Impromptu Craft Kit // No. 2 // Slide 5
Now I get to show you my favorite part . . . the paper sashimi! You can kind of see a bit peeking through the wax paper envelopes. The other die cut you see is a doodle frame I made using Paper 53. The doodle works great as a photo overlay too, so I'll make sure to create a download of the cutting file and .png for you guys!

|23| D-Clip Paper Clips - Garden Series - Strawberry by Midori |24| White Shoebox Glitter Chipboard Thickers by American Crafts |25| Dear Lizzy Neapolitan Collection - 12 x 12 Stitched Ruffled Crepe Paper - Sun Kissed by American Crafts |26| Elephant D-Clip Paper Clips by Midori |27| Doodle Frame by Analog Paper

DIY // Snail Mail // Create an Impromptu Craft Kit // No. 2 // Slide 6
This was one of the first cutting files I ever bought for my Silhouette and I'm so pumped I got to used here . . . I admit, I rarely have the need for paper Sashimi, but I think it came in pretty handy for Mari's package!

|28| Modern Black and White Japanese Washi Tape ReMix - Stripe Dots Piano Set of 4 by MT |29| Sushi Set by Samantha Walker

DIY // Snail Mail // Create an Impromptu Craft Kit // No. 2 // Slide 7
DIY // Snail Mail // Create an Impromptu Craft Kit // No. 2 // Slide 8
And here is the last envelope containing "dessert." Inside I put die cut cupcake and frosting pieces to mix and match . . . but, I almost forgot! The tag you see above is actually the last envelope . . . a little itty bitty one I tied up with bakers twine. I wanted to make sure the smaller pieces for frosting didn't get lost in the shuffle and so, of course, I grabbed more wax paper and washi tape :)

I stopped here mainly because I couldn't fit anything else in the envelope! As you can see, everything I did was super easy and that's why I think I have so much fun with snail mail because I keep it pretty simple, but still do things I find relaxing . . . wrap packages and curate pretty paper ♥ ♥ ♥

|30| 4x6 Polka Dot Cards by Loni Stevens |31| MT Wide Washi Japanese Tape - C - Lime Green Diagonal Stripe by MT |32| Vintage Market Place Paper Tape by Bazzill |33| 3 Cupcakes by Lori Whitlock

No comments:

Post a Comment